From: Peter Jones <peter@thejonesfamily.org>
Subject: Use Verizon Solely for Send?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:09:33 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
If anyone is still out there, here's the challenge ....

Currently have a 128K IDSL line running two Macs (running SIMS for mail and Personal Web Sharing for small websites which I host) behind static IPs, plus a wireless router serving 3 more client (user) Macs (these machines are on DHCP). Wireless router has its' own static IP as well. Bottom line: 3 static IPs on a slow line.

I can get Verizon DSL for this location, but only with Dynamic IPs ... no statics are available.

My objective is to get faster DSL service for my client Macs. It turns out that the cost to add Verizon DSL (3MB/768KB) for websurfing is significantly cheaper than upgrading the IDSL line to 512/512.

If I move everything to Verizon, however, I lose my static IPs and the ability to host my servers.

So my thought is: Use the Verizon mail servers for outbound mail and web surfing only, and still have my inbound mail servers and my hosted web servers on the IDSL line.

We're using Apple Mail 2.0.7 on OS X 10.4.6 machines, which does allow me to use different servers for inbound and outbound mail.

If I've not confused everyone at this time ... any known problems with this approach? Will Verizon's configuration allow me to retrieve mail from a non-Verizon server? I've heard (and experienced) some of the wacky things they do ... I'm not prepared to fight their notoriously nonresponsive tech support folks over this.

Any stories or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Best // Peter

Peter Jones
Sterling, VA