From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: Use Verizon Solely for Send?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:43:06 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>If I move everything to Verizon, however, I lose my static IPs and
>the ability to host my servers.

How about using DynDNS to continue to use your servers with dynamic IPs?

I deal with a company that is very successfully using dns2go.com to do
just this task. They have servers all over the country, most are on
dynamic IP DSL lines, and all of them are just running a dns2go client
that keeps the records up to date with the correct IP address.

DynDNS can do the same thing, but is free for small use (I believe you
are limited to 5 DNS entries).

DynDNS does allow for MX records, so you should be able to continue to
host a mail server.

I've been using DynDNS myself to access my remote offices that are all on
dynamic IPs (however, I've not used the MX record portion of their
service, so I can't speak for how well that works... I also only use it
for occasional remote access, so my use it fairly light... but it has
always been working when I needed it to).

The other thing to check is be sure Verizon does not offer a static IP.
They do offer them in some areas for DSL service. However, I believe you
do need to get a business class account to get a static IP (and it is a
slightly higher charge then the same service using dynamic IP).

>If I've not confused everyone at this time ... any known problems
>with this approach? Will Verizon's configuration allow me to retrieve
>mail from a non-Verizon server?

Verizon is actually very open with what they let you do. The only thing
they do is block inbound port 80 access (stop you from running a web
server)... however, I believe for any business class service, you can
request that the block be lifted for your account. They advertise that
you can host a web server on your business class DSL, so they must be
able to turn off that block for you. I'd not be surprised if they also
will turn off the block for residential class service, as my guess is,
the block is there solely to keep idiot windows users from screwing
things up for everyone else because they didn't know IIS was running on
their machine, and it was woefully out of date and easily compromised.

But worst case, if they won't lift the block for residential class
service, you just buy into the business class service. The two are priced
almost identical for DSL service.

Verizon does not block any other services or ports to the best of my
knowledge. Verizon really doesn't care what you do with the internet
access you get from them. Host all the servers you want, saturate your
connection 24x7x365... they don't really give a darn.

The only gotcha with Verizon is their mail servers can be sucky for
inbound mail. They do a bunch of stuff to allegedly keep down spam, and
that causes headaches for people that are trying to receive email to a
verizon account. As for sending via a verizon server, I don't believe
there are any issues with doing that. (and it is also worth noting, that
their alleged spam prevention tactics don't seem to do any good... my
verizon address gets the most spam of any of my addresses, and I never
give out my verizon address, it is used ONLY for communication with
verizon regarding my ISP service... so methinks verizon is doing this
"spam protection" just to make it so their accounts are totally useless
for email, and thus no one will bother using them, and in another few
years, they will be able to safely just stop offering email service to
people entirely)

>So my thought is: Use the Verizon mail servers for outbound mail and
>web surfing only, and still have my inbound mail servers and my
>hosted web servers on the IDSL line.

If you really want to go that route, you should have no problems doing it
with Verizon DSL service. Run your server on your IDSL line with static
IP, and do everything else over your Verizon DSL line. Verizon won't care
or stop you.

But I'd look into either a static IP option with Verizon, or DynDNS with
Verizon's dynamic IP. That will let you drop the IDSL service entirely.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>