From: Peter Jones <peter@thejonesfamily.org>
Subject: Re: Use Verizon Solely for Send?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 15:54:54 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Chris, thanks for the informative note. I think I'm understanding what you're saying ... I'm not going to argue, just get clarifications....

If I move everything to Verizon, however, I lose my static IPs and
the ability to host my servers.

How about using DynDNS to continue to use your servers with dynamic IPs?

Well, yes, but I want to put a total of 5 computers (2 servers and 3 client machines) on the DSL modem, and they're all sharing one public IP address. So wouldn't I have to put in a DHCP router on the user side of the DSL modem? That would give 192.168.0.X LAN addresses to each of the servers and computers. I don't understand how to set up a DHCP router such that both "foobar1.com" and "foobar2.com" share the same external IP address, and HTTP (port 80) calls to foobar1.com are segregated from calls to foobar2.com and routed to the appropriate server. If there's a way to do it, I'd love to know.

I deal with a company that is very successfully using dns2go.com to do
just this task. They have servers all over the country, most are on
dynamic IP DSL lines, and all of them are just running a dns2go client
that keeps the records up to date with the correct IP address.

I'm assuming that each of these servers are on dynamic IP lines -- one server per dynamic IP address. I need two servers one one dynamic IP address. Problem, yes?

The other thing to check is be sure Verizon does not offer a static IP.
They do offer them in some areas for DSL service. However, I believe you
do need to get a business class account to get a static IP (and it is a
slightly higher charge then the same service using dynamic IP).

I spoke to the Verizon Sales Drone today and she stated unequivocally that static IP blocks are not available in my area. I was talking about Business-class service, so I was surprised ... I continue to be unimpressed with Verizon's "technology."

If I've not confused everyone at this time ... any known problems
with this approach? Will Verizon's configuration allow me to retrieve
mail from a non-Verizon server?

Verizon does not block any other services or ports to the best of my
knowledge. Verizon really doesn't care what you do with the internet
access you get from them. Host all the servers you want, saturate your
connection 24x7x365... they don't really give a darn.

I guess that's the core of my concern. If Verizon doesn't block port 110 traffic then I can go through Verizon to get to my mailservers and pull down mail going back to my clients. Sure, it'll be slow (IDSL, 128K), but that's OK since (any more) email isn't real-time; a four-minute delay in getting mail is not a big crisis.

I am planning on sending via the Verizon servers, with my reply-to and from addresses clearly identifying that the reply address is my own SIMS server.

The only gotcha with Verizon is their mail servers can be sucky for
inbound mail.

I've lived that movie, VZ is a pain to deal with if you are trying to send mail to them. Another reason just to use the send side of their servers. That's why I'm still using SIMS; yes, it's old, but it does what is needed without a lot of pain and administration.

So my thought is: Use the Verizon mail servers for outbound mail and
web surfing only, and still have my inbound mail servers and my
hosted web servers on the IDSL line.

If you really want to go that route, you should have no problems doing it
with Verizon DSL service. Run your server on your IDSL line with static
IP, and do everything else over your Verizon DSL line. Verizon won't care
or stop you.

That's what my plan is, I guess the only way to find out is to try. At least they offer a 30-day money-back if the sucka doesn't work.

Thanks for your comments and time ....

Peter