From: Michael Croft <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: Use Verizon Solely for Send?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 16:11:07 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Isn't there a SIMS option to use an external mailserver to send through?

At 03:54 PM 5/9/2006, Peter Jones wrote:
Chris, thanks for the informative note. I think I'm understanding
what you're saying ... I'm not going to argue, just get
clarifications....

If I move everything to Verizon, however, I lose my static IPs and
the ability to host my servers.

How about using DynDNS to continue to use your servers with dynamic
IPs?
Well, yes, but I want to put a total of 5 computers (2 servers and 3
client machines) on the DSL modem, and they're all sharing one public
IP address. So wouldn't I have to put in a DHCP router on the user
side of the DSL modem? That would give 192.168.0.X LAN addresses to
each of the servers and computers. I don't understand how to set up a
DHCP router such that both "foobar1.com" and "foobar2.com" share the
same external IP address, and HTTP (port 80) calls to foobar1.com are
segregated from calls to foobar2.com and routed to the appropriate
server. If there's a way to do it, I'd love to know.

I deal with a company that is very successfully using dns2go.com to do
just this task. They have servers all over the country, most are on
dynamic IP DSL lines, and all of them are just running a dns2go client
that keeps the records up to date with the correct IP address.

I'm assuming that each of these servers are on dynamic IP lines --
one server per dynamic IP address. I need two servers one one dynamic
IP address. Problem, yes?

Not if the protocols you're using have separate ports.  The mail server uses 25, 110, 8080, the web server needs 80, other protocols hav etheir own needs.

One solution will depend on your router.  If you have access to it and it's configurable, you can set up port forwarding so that xx.xx.xx.xx:25 routes to inside 192.168.0.1:25 and xx.xx.xx.xx:80 routes to 192.168.0.2:80

The other thing to check is be sure Verizon does not offer a static
IP.
They do offer them in some areas for DSL service. However, I
believe you
do need to get a business class account to get a static IP (and it
is a
slightly higher charge then the same service using dynamic IP).

I spoke to the Verizon Sales Drone today and she stated unequivocally
that static IP blocks are not available in my area. I was talking
about Business-class service, so I was surprised ... I continue to be
unimpressed with Verizon's "technology."

That's fascinating.  Were you talking to the business sales team?  They were more on-the-ball in my experience than the residential side.

If I've not confused everyone at this time ... any known problems
with this approach? Will Verizon's configuration allow me to retrieve
mail from a non-Verizon server?

Verizon does not block any other services or ports to the best of my
knowledge. Verizon really doesn't care what you do with the internet
access you get from them. Host all the servers you want, saturate your
connection 24x7x365... they don't really give a darn.

I guess that's the core of my concern. If Verizon doesn't block port
110 traffic then I can go through Verizon to get to my mailservers
and pull down mail going back to my clients. Sure, it'll be slow
(IDSL, 128K), but that's OK since (any more) email isn't real-time; a
four-minute delay in getting mail is not a big crisis.

Verizon does not block me (in NJ), but they do publish their residential DSL blocks to various RBLs.  You may be blocked on outbound port 25 by your recipients, especially the large ones like AOL and Verizon.

I check port 110 traffic  from gmail all the time from my Verizon account, and I've had both residential and business block IPs.