From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: ASSP (was Help)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:46:33 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>I'm pretty much only using sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org for blacklisting
>these days, as I have ASSP sitting in front of SIMS and it catches a
>large portion of the junk. (sourceforge.net/assp/).

What does your setup for this look like?

I assume you aren't running assp on the same box as SIMS, or are you?
(running SIMS on OS X maybe?)

I've been long planning to move off SIMS to Postfix, but doing so just
keeps getting pushed further and further down the list of things to do.
And frankly, SIMS works (and works well), so why replace it. My only
complaint is not being able to do better mail filtering to get rid of
spam. ASSP may solve that for me.

What kind of a machine are you running ASSP on? I recently retired a
NetBSD machine (quadra 610 running Mac68k/NetBSD) that had been my
primary web server until last weekend. Would that be up to the task or
will I be better suited throwing something else in there. Maybe an old P2
running NetBSD or Linux, or an old iMac running OS X... I had to retire
the netbsd machine as it was too slow to run complex PERL scripts
efficiently for web pages... it looks like ASSP is Perl based so I'd
question if it would be able to handle it. I'd like to avoid any Windows
based servers if possible. Would it be possible to run ASSP on OS X with
SIMS on the same machine? That way I could use the OS X machine I had
been planning on using for Postfix. Or am I better suited to putting
these on two different machines (same machine I'd think would involve
hacking SIMS to listen on something other than port 25, which I seem to
recall there are directions for that floating around).

Also, I'd guess if you are running on two different machines, that your
SIMS machine is behind a firewall. Is your ASSP machine as well?
(currently, my SIMS machine is not, but then I've never been too worried
about letting a 68k mac running a stripped down version of Mac OS 8 sit
directly on the internet... I'd be a little more worried about sticking a
*nix box out there, although I had my Mac68k NetBSD machine on a public
IP for years with no issues... but that could have just been luck on my
part and I'm slowly moving away from that habit).

Thanks for any tips/hints you can give.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>