From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: ASSP, SIMS, OS X
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:15:37 -0400
To: SIMS list <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I know this topic has been touched on before, but I'm in the process of
the transition and I just want to reach out for one last round of real
world opinions on it.

I moved my 68k based SIMS to PPC SIMS on OS X Server 10.4 running under
Classic. I did this about two weeks ago, and it has been running non stop
with no issues.

I'm about to add ASSP into the mix. My plan is to attempt to setup ASSP
on the same box (233 MHz iMac with 256 MB of RAM and 30 GB of available
hard drive space). Before I make that leap, I just wanted to see if
anyone was running ASSP on a similar setup.

I've already heard from BillC who indicated that he didn't have good luck
getting this idea to work well. I've also read maxlyth.com and plan to
follow his walkthru to get it running. Maxlyth doesn't indicate how well
the setup worked.

My alternative option here is to reboot my iMac directly into OS 9 and
run SIMS on it, and then setup ASSP on either a spare 400 Mhz B&W G3
tower, or my preference (simply because I don't have much room) I have a
spare Dual 400 MHz P2 rack server that I can install some flavor of *nix
or even windows on and run ASSP on it.

Ideally I'd like to keep this all on one machine, and barring any "don't
do it" comments from others (besides Bill), that is probably the route I
will attempt. I fully trust Bill's opinion and expertise, but I get the
impression his needs are far greater than mine, and since so far he is
the only one to say he had a problem with it, I'd likely give it a try.
(and for Bill, what problems did you have in putting the two on the same
OS X machine, was it just an issue of not keeping up with volume, or were
there stability problems)

But if others have had a problem with doing this on one machine, or know
that a 233 MHz G3 with 256 MB of RAM is woefully underpowered... then I'd
like to hear that so I can save myself what will likely be a full day's
work to get this going only to find I can't successfully run it this way.

So, anyone else out there running ASSP and SIMS on OS X together? If not,
how many people are running SIMS on OS X, and how stable is it? (I have
regular Classic crashes on my home machine, so although this setup has
been stable for just shy of two weeks, I am still a little nervous that
it won't stay stable).

And for those that are running ASSP on a 2nd machine, what are your basic
machine specs and what kind of mail volume do you have, so I can get an
idea if I'm going to be underpowered or not (counting spam, I push
probably about 3000 messages a day in and out between about a dozen
domains... discounting spam, probably about 1/2 of that)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>