From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: ASSP, SIMS, OS X
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:23:34 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>If I recall correctly (I set it up 2 years ago) I was having trouble
>with SIMS crashing in Classic - or maybe Classic crashing.  Either
>way, it was more a function of SIMS and Classic than of running it
>with ASSP on the same machine.

So then in theory, as long as Classic stays stable, all may be well.

Alas, I have little faith in Classic staying stable (I average a Classic
crash probably every other day on my home machine. I'm running a stripped
down version of OS 9.2.2, almost identical to that on my SIMS OS X
machine, and all I run is an email client at home. However, I find that
Classic only seems to crash on the launch or quit of an application... so
possibly with SIMS running 24x7 it might be more stable)

Classic has also come a long way in the last 2 years. 10.2 it really
sucked, 10.3 it mostly sucked, and 10.4 it kinda sucks. :-)

>I probably need to throw some more RAM at the first one as it's
>starting to bog down a little.  ASSP is fairly RAM intensive during
>the spamdb rebuild process, so the more the merrier.

Humm... both your machines out horsepower mine, and have far more ram.
I'll have to give a serious look to setting up one of my spare Dual P2
rack servers (although since RAM seems to be the issue, those might not
work well either, simply because there are only two slots and they
require ECC SDRAM, something I don't have sticks larger than 128 MB
for... so I'd really gain nothing in the RAM front... I may have to look
at using my B&W G3 that I can at least bump up to 1 GB with ease).

I did install ASSP on my machine today, I just wrapped it up a few
minutes ago. However, I've got something wrong as it doesn't seem to
start up properly. I'll have to go back over everything and make sure I
did it right, and then start digging thru some of the docs to see if I
can figure it out.

>As a precaution, I'd suggest changing the name of the SIMS machine if
>you keep them separate.  Right now, ours is still named
>mail.greenbuilder.com and though it's not in our DNS MX records we
>find some spam still leaking in through that server without first
>having gone through the ASSP server.

Well, if I make them two different machines, I'd likely stick the SIMS
machine behind a firewall, and leave the mail. name and MX pointing to my
ASSP machine. What I'd likely do, simply for my own ease of mapping
things, stick a 2nd ethernet card into my ASSP machine, and let it act as
the firewall to my SIMS machine. So SIMS would really be sitting behind
the ASSP machine on its own little isolated network.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>