From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: ASSP
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:26:38 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>OSX is of course a multi-user system, but the WorkGroup Manager and
>Server Admin are a decent (or better) front end to the underlying
>daemons, as long as you are vanilla. Which you are if you are running
>SIMS. If your complaint is "a nice front end," I'm not sure that
>holds water. If your complaint is that OSX works with System
>accounts, well, yes, that's how it works. I can't really tell if your
>complaint is one, the other, or both.

You are correct, WorkGroup Manager does a nice job of handling system
account setup.

But I don't want to have to make system accounts for ever email box that
I want to exist. Plus I have tons of wildcard addresses (ie: cgi-*) that
all map to the same email box. I use these extensively and really can't
live without them. Currently, using OS X's Postfix interface, there is no
way to do these.

>Having said that, IIRC Postfix does not require system accounts, and
>the 3rd-party web-based Webmin is quite serviceable to administer
>Postfix.

My understanding is the same, Postfix can use "virtual" accounts instead,
either via a SQL database, or just from a text file. However, OS X
doesn't have an interface to do those. There may be good 3rd party webmin
tools to do it, and I haven't ruled out Postfix because I haven't had a
chance to look into these 3rd party tools.

And there is the rub, and what keeps me here with SIMS. Time. I lack the
time to invest trying to recreate a system that I already have running
just fine. It is a goal of mine some day to move off SIMS, but it is a
project that keeps getting pushed down to the bottom of the list as more
important things crop up.

>There are other pros and cons of course, and I'm only just beginning
>to tackle the issue of implementing a SIMS-style router. Anyone one
>else out there doing this and want to share?

Well, if you figure that one out, I'd love to know.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>