From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: ASSP
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:34:52 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:26 PM -0400 6/15/06, chris  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
OSX is of course a multi-user system, but the WorkGroup Manager and
Server Admin are a decent (or better) front end to the underlying
daemons, as long as you are vanilla. Which you are if you are running
SIMS. If your complaint is "a nice front end," I'm not sure that
holds water. If your complaint is that OSX works with System
accounts, well, yes, that's how it works. I can't really tell if your
complaint is one, the other, or both.

You are correct, WorkGroup Manager does a nice job of handling system
account setup.

But I don't want to have to make system accounts for ever email box that
I want to exist. Plus I have tons of wildcard addresses (ie: cgi-*) that
all map to the same email box. I use these extensively and really can't
live without them. Currently, using OS X's Postfix interface, there is no
way to do these.

I don't know what Apple provides as a GUI for Postfix, but all the config files should be in /etc/postfix and the details of how they work are in /usr/share/doc/postfix as well as various man pages (try 'man 5 virtual' in a terminal window...) and there are lots of how-to sites online. All of the config files are text files, and the default install versions include copious explanations in the comments.

The specific answer is that mapping patterned addresses to delivery mailboxes is easiest to do by using a regular expression table for the virtual_alias_maps feature.

Having said that, IIRC Postfix does not require system accounts, and
the 3rd-party web-based Webmin is quite serviceable to administer
Postfix.

My understanding is the same, Postfix can use "virtual" accounts instead,
either via a SQL database, or just from a text file. However, OS X
doesn't have an interface to do those. There may be good 3rd party webmin
tools to do it, and I haven't ruled out Postfix because I haven't had a
chance to look into these 3rd party tools.

vi in a terminal session is my usual tool for Postfix config. If you have a GUI session directly on the machine or can use the SFTP support, BBEdit might be preferred.

And there is the rub, and what keeps me here with SIMS. Time. I lack the
time to invest trying to recreate a system that I already have running
just fine. It is a goal of mine some day to move off SIMS, but it is a
project that keeps getting pushed down to the bottom of the list as more
important things crop up.

That's certainly a common problem.

I've moved a chunk of my mail off of SIMS and onto Postfix, but I still have a few hours of work to do to get the rest migrated. I only started 2 months ago...

There are other pros and cons of course, and I'm only just beginning
to tackle the issue of implementing a SIMS-style router. Anyone one
else out there doing this and want to share?

Well, if you figure that one out, I'd love to know.

The functionality of the SIMS router is all there, and most of it is implemented through the virtual address framework.
--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com