From: Colleen/Jeff Stubbs <cjstubbs@adelphia.net>
Subject: Possible free replacement for SIMS
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:11:39 -0700
To: <SIMS>
Greetings List,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to pass along info about a nice mail server configuration that I'm using.

I'm the mail administrator for a smallish advertising firm (500-1000 emails/day). I ran SIMS on 8100/80 from '99 to mid '05, when the machine finally died. Needing a quick replacement, I installed Panther on a under used B/W G3 (enabling Postfix), using it as a gateway to another old box running ASIP mail service. When the ASIP box started failing in 12/05, I had to find a replacement quickly. I ran across this site: http://switch.richard5.net . It's an easily set up configuration consisting of MySQL, Apache2, PHP, Postfix, Courier IMAP (& POP3), PostfixAdmin, Roundcube webmail. Even under my light load on an older box, when I ssh into it, it's running 97% idle according to top.

Version 2.0 is in the works at: http://switch.richard5.net/isp-in-a-box-v2/

The necessary command line skills are minimal.

Just info for consideration, if you're on a tight budget (like me) and can't afford a new box & OS X server.

Thanks,

Jeff Stubbs