From: cb <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: migrate mail box files
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:31:49 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Aug 9, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Bill Cole wrote:

What is the best way to migrate user mail box files from SIMS to Postfix/Cyrus?

Get your users to retrieve and delete all their mail off the old server, then starting up the new one.

Well, that had been the plan, until OS X grew a mind of its own. I still don't know if it did this as a result of something in the 10.4.7 update, or if it was because I had the mail services half configured and waiting to be turned on, and this was the first time the box had been rebooted since configing those services.

Either way, I was (and still am) mighty annoyed that they turned themselves on without my permission, and offered me no way to turn them back off.

In principle you could convert the SIMS mailboxes to Cyrus format, but that's not likely to work well. You can find a script called unix2cyrus.sh in a post to the Postfix-Users at http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2004-04/0966.html but it would probably need adjustment to the fact that SIMS mailboxes use <CR> line breaks (or you'd have to convert them to <LF> breaks first...)

That script has an advantage over straight file conversion in that it breaks up the old mailbox into messages and feeds them into the 'deliver' program for delivery into Cyrus mailboxes, so you are really having your Cyrus mailboxes built by the same process that would happen if you were accepting those messages normally and delivering them. It also has the advantage of being able to bring up the new Postfix/Cyrus combination live and having it live while the old SIMS mailboxes are fed in. There is some risk that users who have been leaving their mail on the server intentionally might end up seeing the old messages as if they are new again, but that's pretty much unavoidable.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Converting the line breaks shouldn't be a problem. SIMS uses a text file, and BBEdit will make quick work of changing those breaks. This method may work best for me as it may mean the least amount of headache.

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>