From: cb <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: migrate mail box files
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:03:46 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Aug 9, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Bill Cole wrote:

In principle you could convert the SIMS mailboxes to Cyrus format, but that's not likely to work well. You can find a script called unix2cyrus.sh in a post to the Postfix-Users at http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2004-04/0966.html but it would probably need adjustment to the fact that SIMS mailboxes use <CR> line breaks (or you'd have to convert them to <LF> breaks first...)

That script has an advantage over straight file conversion in that it breaks up the old mailbox into messages and feeds them into the 'deliver' program for delivery into Cyrus mailboxes, so you are really having your Cyrus mailboxes built by the same process that would happen if you were accepting those messages normally and delivering them. It also has the advantage of being able to bring up the new Postfix/Cyrus combination live and having it live while the old SIMS mailboxes are fed in. There is some risk that users who have been leaving their mail on the server intentionally might end up seeing the old messages as if they are new again, but that's pretty much unavoidable.

Well, I converted a mailbox file to test. I setup the unix2cyrus shell script (including tweaking it so it would actually find my copy of cyrus), but no luck. When I run it, nothing happens. Not that I expect any kind of output from the script, but the mail never appears in the mail box it was heading for.

any ideas?

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>