From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: migrate mail box files
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:13:47 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 08/10/06 at 19:51, cb wrote:

> I didn't want to be running SpamAssassin, but I haven't had a chance
> to look into how to tweak the setup to run with ASSP instead. So I'm
> running SpamAssassin until I can figure that out, as it is better
> than no spam control.

What's your beef with SpamAssassin? I'm running it on two servers (one
CommuniGate Pro and one Exim) and am very happy with it. Out of the box,
with its default config, SA may have limited effectiveness in many (most?)
environments, but that's just because there's such a wide range of possible
environments that it might be run in, so the defaults are fairly
conservative. When you do a few basic things to tune it for your particular
situation, it gets quite good:

- Enable Bayesian analysis and actively train the Bayes database.

- Add appropriate custom rulesets from somewhere like
<http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm> and keep them up to date (follow
the RulesDuJour link at the top of the Rules Emporium page for a script
that can update the SARE rulesets automagically).

- Install and enable Razor and|or Pyzor.

> I know I dropped some accounts entirely (like postmaster and
> webmaster for the moment)

If you're not accepting mail for postmaster, then you're not compliant with
the relevant RFCs. And yes, postmaster addresses generally have more spam
aimed at them, but the flip side of that is that you can turn it around use
that spam to train your filter(s) and otherwise tune your anti-spam
mechanisms.

--
Christopher Bort
<cbort@globalhomes.com>