From: cb <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: migrate mail box files
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:35:00 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Aug 11, 2006, at 3:59 PM, David Muszynski wrote:

OS XS doesn't force you to do anything. I would say this was likely a case of OE.

All I know is, I installed the latest security patch for OS X Server. After that, OS X Server's mail services were on and listening and accepting mail on port 25. No matter what I did, I could not turn it off. In the Server Admin, the services were shown as being stopped and all options within the server were unchecked. Telnet to port 25, and Postfix responded. Attempt to send email, and it accepted any mail it was given and held it in a queue.

In other words, OS X Server took it upon itself to start mail services and collect mail, and offered me no way to stop it. Obviously, having postfix listening on port 25 kept me from having ASSP/SIMS listening on port 25. So I was given no choice but to do my migration earlier than expected.

There was no operator error involved. OS X Server, for reasons I have yet to know, started the services despite the fact that it claimed they were stopped, and gave me no way to stop the services.

The only place Operator Error comes into play was my lack of knowing how to force postfix to stop when Apple's own front end for the service tells me it isn't running in the first place. Killing the service from the command line didn't work as moments after killing it, a new instance would start up. After several hours trying to stop it, I decided it would be faster for me to just make the change to OS X Server's mail services like I had planned to do in the future anyway.

So no, this was not a case of OE.

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>