From: Michael Croft <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: Windows Eudora drops connection
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:47:18 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:11 PM -0400 8/18/06, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>>I am running Eudora Windows 7.1b4 and connecting to my SIMS box
>>without any problems.  Is she running something like MacAfee
>>Enterprise Anti-Virus with a "no outbound attachments" firewall
>>setting?
>
>She -is- running MacAfee but it's whatever personal edition came with
>the computer. We already had to go through the procedure to turn off
>the blocking of e-mail going out, but I don't know if there is a
>separate setting for the attachments. Would McAfee work in such a way
>that it allowed the entire connection to be made and then when the
>message itself is being sent, cut it off? Unfortunately I don't have
>a copy of MacAfee here I can install and try out to guide her - she's
>pretty clueless and it's been a nightmare so far.

It could die in a number of places, the most likely being in her PC and in
the internal network between her PC and the internet.

1: Set up another mail client and try the same thing.  That'll tell you if
it's Eudora or the system.  Also, Eudora has some logging capabilities, but
I haven't messed with them.  You may also suggest that she update to Eudora
7.1b4, in case there's a fixed bug or a bad install.

2: If it's her PC it may be a problem in her profile.  She could create a
new user & log in as them, set up Eudora, and try from there.  If that
fixes it, it's in her profile.  If not, it's either not that or it's in her
system.

2: If it's in the network, she should have the same problem on another machine.

I can't tell you what's wrong, but my normal solution is to break things
into small pieces to see if I can find where they fail.

Other options.  1: you get her to install VNC and you remote to her desktop
and figure it out yourself.
2: Write a script that creates a mail message, telnets to your server,
sends it via telnet on port 25, and records
--
Michael Croft       http://www.whiterose.org/michael
SAM: It's 106 miles to the Crack of Doom. We've got a magic ring,