From: Joe Wagner <joew@cdr.stanford.edu>
Subject: Why is mail being sent to my webserver...
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:27:48 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hi folks,
I confess to being a bit sleep deprived these days, but I can't figure out why some mail servers are trying to send email to my web server rather than the mail servers. I.e. they are trying to send to the machine with the A record for hypertouch.com which is a webserver rather than to hypertouch.com's mail servers which are at other IP addresses.  Now the web server is running a rudimentary mail server but it shouldn't be getting any incoming email and so rejects the attempts as unauthorized relays.

I'd credit this to badly setup third party mailers, but Stanford University's mail server recently bounced a message after trying to send to hypertouch.com and I'd hate to think their outgoing mail server is broken.

Are there any circumstances that a mail server should ever send to the A record of a domain when that domain has MX records pointing elsewhere?  We recently had a network outage so all mail servers were down. So if  Stanford couldn't get to the machines pointed to by the MX records, can it grab the A record as a legitimate destination for email (and cache that result).  I've turned off the mail server functionality of the webserver in the short term but I can't understand why I need to?

Any advise or illumination?

Joe