From: Joe Wagner <joew@cdr.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Why is mail being sent to my webserver...
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:38:59 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
billc <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com> wrote on 6 Sep 2006 18:58:58 -0500:
Sounds like it might be a DNS problem... what domain are we talking about, and what's the IP/name of the server that's getting mail sent to it?
The domain is hypertouch.com and the bounce from Stanford via a test email is:

<joew-test@hypertouch.com>
    (reason: 501 Invalid mail recipient. Relay requires SMTP AUTH.)

... while talking to hypertouch.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 501 Invalid mail recipient. Relay requires SMTP AUTH.
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
<<< 503 Invalid sequence of commands.

   ----- Original message follows -----
So "talking to hypertouch.com" is talking to the web server which also has mail capability (75.16.30.109, running Sambar).  I had the mail server turned on because that is needed to enable the server to email monthly reports to my clients on their domains.  When this bounce happened though, at least two of the mail servers for hypertouch .com (at .108 and .107) were both running.