From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Why is mail being sent to my webserver...
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 07:26:28 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 4:27 PM -0700 9/6/06, Joe Wagner sent email regarding Why is mail being sent to my webserver...:
Hi folks,
I confess to being a bit sleep deprived these days, but I can't figure out why some mail servers are trying to send email to my web server rather than the mail servers. I.e. they are trying to send to the machine with the A record for hypertouch.com which is a webserver rather than to hypertouch.com's mail servers which are at other IP addresses.  Now the web server is running a rudimentary mail server but it shouldn't be getting any incoming email and so rejects the attempts as unauthorized relays.

First off, don't run sendmail (or whatever you're running) as a daemon. If you need to send mail from the web server, use the sendmail stub (/usr/sbin/sendmail) to start sendmail just long enough to send, then stop again. Don't listen on port 25. That way, they can't send mail to the web server's address. (Even though Mac OS X comes with postfix as the mail server, the stub is , by convention, called sendmail. /usr/sbin/sendmail sends via postfix.)

I'd credit this to badly setup third party mailers

As previously noted by others, yup. There might be a reason to use the A record if there are no MX records but it's not correct. And if there are MX records, it should never resort to using the A record. Shame!

My advice is to not listen on port 25. You're just asking for trouble.