From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: Why is mail being sent to my webserver...
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:52:21 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 06 Sep 2006, at 17:27 , Joe Wagner wrote:
Are there any circumstances that a mail server should ever send to the A record of a domain when that domain has MX records pointing elsewhere?  We recently had a network outage so all mail servers were down. So if  Stanford couldn't get to the machines pointed to by the MX records, can it grab the A record as a legitimate destination for email (and cache that result).  I've turned off the mail server functionality of the webserver in the short term but I can't understand why I need to?

As others have respond, no, fallback to A records should only happen if you 1) don't have MX records or 2) the MX records can't be found.

That said, there are a LOT of problems with your DNS.

<http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=hypertouch.com>

The glue issue, specifically, could be the root (sorry, bad pun) of some of your problems.

--
Lewis Butler, Owner Covisp.net
240 S Broadway #203, 80209