From: Dave Pooser <dave-stalker@pooserville.com>
Subject: Re: Understanding Server Verify Failures (I don't)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:19:27 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
> A user on a macjordomo list I server off my SIMS server is hosted at a site
> that is generating rejections that seem to be "Server Verify" error
> messages.
>
> Specifically, I see "Failed to deliver your message to USERNAME@phos.net.
>
> I know that the gmail address that the message was sent from is valid, the
> errors-to address is valid (it's a real mailbox), and the sender/reply-to
> valid (it's a router entry).
>
> I can't tell from the message why my messages are being rejected or if
> there's something I can do to fix it.  What I found about "Sender Verify"
> by Googling is here http://nemesis.lonestar.org/site/mail_trouble.html
>
> Any ideas?  Any more information that would help diagnose it?

Well, it looks as if phos.net has a generic rDNS:
[Mac-Juerte:~] bubbadv% dig +short phos.net
70.103.16.176
[Mac-Juerte:~] bubbadv% dig +short -x 70.103.16.176
box176.bluehost.com.

So my guess is that phos.net is being blocked by gmail when it tries to call
out to the from address, with the results you see. Sender callout doesn't
have a good way to differentiate between "message rejected because the From:
address is forged" and "message rejected because we're not speaking to you."
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com