From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Temp file cannot be created
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:35:27 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:03 PM -0500 12/16/06, Aron S. Spencer imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I'm getting a lot of messages in my logs like the followingŠ

11:19:07 1 SMTP-976(flpi113.sbcis.sbc.com) temp file cannot be created

what does it mean,

SIMS uses temporary files for spooling incoming mail. Naming is S.<10-digits> and they are numbered sequentially, mapping to POP UID and SMTP transaction ID.

and what might be causing it?

1. Full disk.
2. Real storage location of those temp files has permission semantics (i.e. you've used an alias to point SIMS at an AppleShare mounted folder) and it is not writable by the user you've mounted it as.
3. Badly damaged filesystem. This is the worst case, because the SIMS folder is usually on your boot disk in your System Folder, and filesystem damage that would prevent the creation of a new file there bodes ill for your system.

Setting the SMTP and System logging levels to "All Info" can help you determine the root cause. Temp file creation is logged by the SYSTEM module at level 5, and errors should include a MacOS error code that can provide a clue.