From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: New RBL from SpamHaus
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:09:15 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:28 AM -0700 1/9/07, Lewis Butler  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
<x-flowed>On 8-Jan-2007, at 22:48, billc wrote:
 This just in from the Communigate list:

 The new RBL zone from Spamhaus called Policy Block List is now live  (public beta) and included in the main zone "zen":

That's good news.  I've found the zen list to be extremely effective,
though my greylisting still blocks far more spam than the RBL.

Do you mean the MAPS RBL or one of the Spamhaus lists?

The different lists have radically different effects. The SBL itself is useful, but many spammers have adapted their techniques away from being hit by traditional use of well-researched human-maintained blacklists. The Spamhaus XBL addresses that by merging data from multiple sources of high-accuracy automated spam source detection, and  it catches a whole lot more. The best application I see these days of blacklists is the "URIBL" technique, which analyzes URI's in mail and identifies ones pointing to blacklisted hosts. Checking body URI's against the SBL is extremely effective, and catches more spam than traditional RBL-style use of the SBL.

Keeping this on-topic: It is really sad that SIMS was left behind for more sophisticated spam approaches...