From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:10:19 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
so my SIMS box has become unreliable of late. what should i do?

i have several options at hand:

rebuild the box (an old G3 desktop) with a fresh OS 9 and SIMS installs
replace the box with a new mac, OS X and communigate pro - or some open source postfix thingy
replace the box with a linux box, run fedora and postfix/sendmail on it

from those still on the list that have migrated already, i seek your advice.

I ran SIMS for years, and my era ended in 2006. So far I've done straight OSX Server, and the isp-in-a-box2 setup at richard5.net, for 2 different mail server situations.

If your situation is 100% vanilla and doesn't require ANY deviation from Apple's Server Admin view of server administration, straight OSX Server will work fine, for $500. My experience is that if you want to go outside of Apple's Server Admin boundaries even a little, you will have to go under the hood immediately and your situation will be virtually unchanged from just running on OSX sans the $500 server, or Linux.

If you are comfortable with under the hood, I would strongly suggest skipping the $500 server, unless you have to be up and running finished in an hour (how much do you get paid for this project?). If you purchase now, you will have but one more point upgrade, then have to pay again for Leopard Server if you want to keep up. Then there is the Apple-factor to deal with - eg they will change things to their own liking, making a decision on your part of how to upgrade er, "an interesting one" (mailman is an example). This is in no way a true obstacle, but it does require you to put resources to the task. In retrospect, better to build it all yourself, then upgrade with confidence as you wish. Any old OSX-capable mac will do, perhaps even your old G3, or just run Linux on it.

Another option I have not tried yet but am intending to:

http://maxo.captainnet.net/installs/mailserver/index.html

This is an independent collection of applications, that appears to be in the same spirit as isp-in-a-box2.

I can give you one option no one here is likely to: further discussion over beer after the TMUG meeting. Should be there this Mon, if you can make it.

Stefan Jeglinski