From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:49:33 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:32 AM -0500 2/6/07, Charles Mangin wrote:
so my SIMS box has become unreliable of late. what should i do?

i have several options at hand:

rebuild the box (an old G3 desktop) with a fresh OS 9 and SIMS installs
replace the box with a new mac, OS X and communigate pro - or some open source postfix thingy
replace the box with a linux box, run fedora and postfix/sendmail on it

from those still on the list that have migrated already, i seek your advice.

I had started a response to this and got distracted, and I come back and find a dozen people have already provided sound advice... I think the quality of this list has to be the biggest reason SIMS was not universally abandoned 5+ years ago.

The one thing I think might have been under-emphasized is that which direction you should go is context sensitive. For example, my personal setup was the last SIMS system I had anything to do with, and I'm 99% migrated to Postfix and Dovecot on a Cube that used to be my personal desktop. I got a very gracious offer from Stalker when I first talked about abandoning SIMS (and at this point I could get away with the 5 CGP mailboxes under the regular free license) but I have gone to Postfix because professionally I expect it to be useful to have the experience and it is the path of least resistance on MacOS, which is what I had on the available machine. I went with Dovecot instead of Courier out of curiosity and personal annoyance with the Courier developer. Very situational. I've also helped SIMS users switch to CGP (which is far too easy IMHO as a hired gun...) and to Sendmail-based systems (a hired gun's dream...) because their circumstances justified those choices.

The one thing you should forget about doing is putting more work into a SIMS system.