From: Todd Reed <Todd.Reed@pphsso.org>
Subject: Re: SIMS dual domains
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:59:31 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I posted a few minutes ago that the comments on this subject cleared it all
up for me, but now I've got a couple of more questions.

Seems like my posts are not showing up intermittently as well.

In any event, my checklist has shrunk somewhat based on the comments made so
far.

It seems to me now that I could take two approaches. I could leave SIMS name
unchanged locally, leave DNS unchanged on the old domain, set up the new
domain with MX pointing to SIMS, and put a router entry equating
<*@newdomain>=*@olddomain.com

Or

I could change SIMS name to 'mail.newdomain.com'. Take the old domain MX
record and point to A record/mail.newdomain.com.
New domain MX and A records - mail.newdomain.com.
Router entry <*@olddomain.com>=*@newdomain.com.

Both would get the same result. If that's true, any comments on using one or
the other?

Todd

On 2/7/07 6:28 AM, "Todd Reed" <Todd.Reed@pphsso.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Still running SIMS here despite all rumors to the contrary.
>
> I need to run dual domains on SIMS as the organization is moving to a new
> domain name. We want mail sent to user@olddomain.com or user@newdomain.com
> to both go to the same user mailbox.
>
> My checklist is as follows:
>
> Turn down TTL's on existing domain.
> Establish new domain with A, and MX records pointing to SIMS.
>
> Give SIMS it's new domain name: mail.newdomain.com
> Set up a routing entry: *@olddomain.com=newdomain.com
>
> Set up CNAME on old domain name record:
> mail.olddomain.com CNAME mail.newdomain.com
> Remove A record for mail.olddomain.com
> MX record on old domain points to mail.newdomain.com
>
> Then sit back and watch the mail get delivered.
>
> I don't recall the best way to set up the router entry as it's been awhile
> since I tried this. Any tips on this checklist or the correct router syntax
> appreciated.
>
> TIA.
>
> Todd Reed

Todd Reed