From: billc <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: SIMS dual domains
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:32:49 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:17 PM -0800 2/7/07, Christopher Bort wrote:
On 02/07/07 at 11:59, Todd Reed wrote:

 I posted a few minutes ago that the comments on this subject cleared
 it all up for me, but now I've got a couple of more questions.

 Seems like my posts are not showing up intermittently as well.

 In any event, my checklist has shrunk somewhat based on the comments
 made so far.

 It seems to me now that I could take two approaches. I could leave
 SIMS name unchanged locally, leave DNS unchanged on the old domain,
 set up the new domain with MX pointing to SIMS, and put a router
 entry equating
 <*@newdomain>=*@olddomain.com

 Or

 I could change SIMS name to 'mail.newdomain.com'. Take the old domain MX
 record and point to A record/mail.newdomain.com.
 New domain MX and A records - mail.newdomain.com.
 Router entry <*@olddomain.com>=*@newdomain.com.

 Both would get the same result. If that's true, any comments on using
 one or the other?

Will you be keeping and using the old domain name indefinitely or will its
use be phased out (e.g. registration allowed to expire)? If the latter, or
if there's some other preference in favor of using the new domain, then the
second approach makes more sense in the long run.

Also, again, if it were me, I'd simplify the router entry to
olddomain.com=newdomain.com. The user part wildcards are superfluous and,
to me at least, the domain level syntax is easier to read. I don't know if
it makes any difference in the router module's performance.

The only thing I'd add to that is that if you want to erase all traces of the old domain, you'll want to change the official name of the box.  Otherwise the headers will show your mail as being routed through olddomain.com.

So what you really may want to do is change the Main Domain Name on the General page to newdomain.com (or mail.newdomain.com, or whatever) and then put the router entries as

mail.olddomain.com=mail.newdomain.com

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>