From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:19:38 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 02/07/07 at 17:54, cb wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Charles Mangin wrote:
>
> > ... and i'm a litle hesitant to spend $1000 on something when the
> > alternative is free, especially since the software i'll be serving
> > with is essentially the same - the added value of  Apple's server
> > admin apps notwithstanding. and then there's the fact that leopard
> > is right around the corner, with leopard server right behind it,
> > and another $500 to keep current.
>
> I switched to OS X Server 10.4 when I left SIMS. I did so simply
> because I had the spare license available, and I figured having OS X
> Server handle everything would make things easier.
>
> Now, having run it for quite some time, I can say, the OS X "Server"
> advantage is actually very little. I get exactly two things out of
> using OS X Server. 1: a nice place to enter base mail accounts (this
> does not include aliases or virtual domain addresses if you want to
> use postfix filtering, as the "Apple" way is not compliant with the
> "Postfix" way. So if you plan to really leverage postfix, you have to
> do all your other addressing manually in the appropriate postfix
> files), and 2: Apple taking care of security updates.
>
> Both of those I personally don't think warrant the money, especially
> considering that #2 has become a disadvantage as of late, as the last
> two updates I installed actually brought my server to its knees and I
> had to spend several hours getting things back to life. So I've
> stopped installing updates offered by Apple entirely. (This problem
> may be related to the hardware I'm running on, but it could also be
> because Apple has some files in incorrect places and with incorrect
> syntax, and their updates seem to overwrite anything that you changed
> manually, which means after an update, you are back to a broken mail
> server that needs to be manually fixed again).
>
> Everything else regarding my mail server admin, I have to do
> manually. And there is stuff that is supposed to be handled by Server
> Admin that isn't due to bugs or similar in OS X Server and need to be
> configured (or reconfigured) by hand anyway. I thinking specifically
> of SpamAssassin that doesn't seem to work "out of the box" due to
> incorrect syntax in the config files, and incorrect paths. So I had
> to redo the config by hand, and correct path links to get
> SpamAssassin working.
>
> If I had to do it again from scratch, I'd not bother with OS X Server
> and instead just use regular OS X and follow one of the various
> directions sites out there for installing all the components to turn
> it into a server.

If you're only running 'internet' services (mail, web, ftp), then you are
absolutely correct. OS X Server is not worth the premium price. It _is_
worth it, however, if you are in an environment where you need the other
services included with Server (file services, 'collaboration' services,
etc.) and you need them to be integrated through Open Directory.

--
Christopher Bort
Homes Magazine

Real Estate Advertising/ Web Products/ Digital Printing Services

Serving: Wine Country Napa & Sonoma County, Marin County, San Francisco Bay
Area, Santa Cruz County, Monterey County , San Luis Obispo County & Santa
Barbara County, Reno/Sparks & Carson Valley, North Lake Tahoe & Truckee &
South Lake Tahoe