From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:57:21 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 7-Feb-2007, at 22:02, Bill Cole wrote:
At 6:19 PM -0800 2/7/07, Christopher Bort  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:

If you're only running 'internet' services (mail, web, ftp), then you are
absolutely correct. OS X Server is not worth the premium price. It _is_
worth it, however, if you are in an environment where you need the other
services included with Server (file services, 'collaboration' services,
etc.) and you need them to be integrated through Open Directory.

The one thing I am considering shelling out for is just that. Putting together a small network of machines for a small number of users gets to be a nuisance fast, particularly if you have users who want the sort of behavior they've had in enterprise-scale Novell, Windows, and Solaris environments: one account, same user experience no matter where they log in, etc.

The main reasons I've considered getting OSXS is network $HOME directories.  As I understand it, theoretically possible with OS X, but a huge pain.

Top of my list of cool projects I would do with my next bit of free time (um, yeah, right) is to replicate that without the $500 price tag for Server. All the parts are there in the open Darwin tree except for the pretty GUI's and the widgetry they talk to.

Yeah, it's all 'there' but getting to it and getting it setup right is evidently a bit of an issue.  If you ever do do it and get it working, writeup a howto and send it along, will ya?

--
Lewis Butler, Owner Covisp.net
240 S Broadway #203, 80209