From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:18:39 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On 8-Feb-2007, at 10:03, Christopher Bort wrote:

The main reasons I've considered getting OSXS is network $HOME
directories.  As I understand it, theoretically possible with OS X,
but a huge pain.

Not just theoretically possible. Many, many installations use network homes
successfully.

Well, when last I researched this (which was about when 10.4 came out) everything I could find on network homes was in reference to using OSXS and not OS X.

Many of them have few or no problems, but there are some
possible issues. The archives of Apple's OS X Server, Client Management and
System Imaging lists will provide examples of those issues

But are unlikely to be that helpful for someone who is not using OSXS (OS X Server), no?

If it's about the money, pony up for a Server license. It would almost
certainly take more than $500 or $1,000 worth of time to cobble together
comparable functionality from scratch.

I simply can't afford to spend that kind of money for my home LAN.

--
Lewis Butler, Owner Covisp.net
240 S Broadway #203, 80209