From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:34:00 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 02/08/07 at 10:18, Lewis Butler wrote:

> On 8-Feb-2007, at 10:03, Christopher Bort wrote:
>
> >> The main reasons I've considered getting OSXS is network $HOME
> >> directories.  As I understand it, theoretically possible with OS X,
> >> but a huge pain.
> >
> > Not just theoretically possible. Many, many installations use
> > network homes
> > successfully.
>
> Well, when last I researched this (which was about when 10.4 came
> out) everything I could find on network homes was in reference to
> using OSXS and not OS X.

Ah, sorry, my error. I missed that you were talking about doing it with
regular OS X, and not Server.

> > Many of them have few or no problems, but there are some possible
> > issues. The archives of Apple's OS X Server, Client Management and
> > System Imaging lists will provide examples of those issues
>
> But are unlikely to be that helpful for someone who is not using OSXS
> (OS X Server), no?

See above.

> > If it's about the money, pony up for a Server license. It would
> > almost certainly take more than $500 or $1,000 worth of time to
> > cobble together comparable functionality from scratch.
>
> I simply can't afford to spend that kind of money for my home LAN.

I can understand that. I don't have much money to spend on my own home LAN
(or a lot other things for that matter), so I like to do a lot of
build-it-yourself FOSS things myself. Part of that is enjoying the
challenge of doing it myself, though, not just saving the cash. At some
point you have to weigh an up front expense against the time that it would
take to put it together from scratch, and the time that it would take to
keep it up to date and operating smoothly once you've got it running. All
I'm saying is that, in the case of reproducing OS X Server's functionality
on regular OS X, $500 is a steal compared to the value of the time it would
take to do it yourself. The value of the experience, on the other hand, is
subjective and, for some people, could easily outweigh the expense of an OS
X Server license.  8^)

--
Christopher Bort
Homes Magazine

Real Estate Advertising/ Web Products/ Digital Printing Services

Serving: Wine Country Napa & Sonoma County, Marin County, San Francisco Bay
Area, Santa Cruz County, Monterey County , San Luis Obispo County & Santa
Barbara County, Reno/Sparks & Carson Valley, North Lake Tahoe & Truckee &
South Lake Tahoe