From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: end of an era
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:03:11 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:34 AM -0800 2/8/07, Christopher Bort  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
 All
I'm saying is that, in the case of reproducing OS X Server's functionality
on regular OS X, $500 is a steal compared to the value of the time it would
take to do it yourself. The value of the experience, on the other hand, is
subjective and, for some people, could easily outweigh the expense of an OS
X Server license.  8^)

That dilemma is how I've had that project on the 'to do' list since the release of 10.3. However conservatively I might account for my time (if I had it) I would be unlikely to come out ahead from working this out rather than buying Server, since I know from having made one serious attempt at it that it is not trivial.

On the other hand, knowing how to build an integrated MacOS environment without Server could be extremely valuable.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com