From: billc <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: An elemental question.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:30:11 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:06 AM -0700 2/27/07, Lewis Butler wrote:
On 27-Feb-2007, at 02:43, Jorge Chamorro wrote:
Another problem I'm having lately is that some messages remain forever in
the queue, with "suspended" status. The smtp is set to retry 10 times @ 3
minutes intervals. What's the difference between "suspended" and "failed" ?

So a maximum retry of 30 minutes?  That's insane.

And you should be aware that an anti-spam technique which is growing in popularity is to delay delivery.  The receiving server sends a 4xx response, telling the sending server to try again later.  I know some who configure it for a 5-15 min delay.  Spammers typically won't try again; they've moved on.  Real servers are configured to assume that there will be downtime - either the other server, or some disconnect in the network between here and there - and to do their best to actually deliver the mail.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>