From: Joe Wagner <joew@cdr.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: multiple IP addresses
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:39:17 -0700
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:25:22 -0400 Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com> wrote:
But seriously, have you cranked up logging in SIMS and checked what it says at startup? There should be something like this, but with your IP's and names:
[...]
01:31:23 4 SMTP Got new Local IP addresses, n=1: [192.168.254.8], [0.0.0.0],

I cranked up logging to All for the General Server and for SMTP, and yet SIMS doesn't seem to give any acknowledgement of its IP addresses, unless I missed a setting...

Interestingly enough, this time, I now seem to be able to connect to port 8010 via the secondary IP address, but not via the primary set in the TCP/IP control panel.  Perhaps under Mac OS 9.2.2's OT, that just isn't very stable. I've used multiple IP addresses before on OS9 but those times used the same gateway or were for one upstream and one local network...

I have tried adding multiple IP to my OSX server running CGPro, but the secondary address won't connect to outside requests.  My understanding form reading Sustainable Softworks's webpage, it seems OSX's setup routes all packets to the default (i.e. first) gateway:
"The Mac OS X network stack uses a single default gateway to route packets that cannot be delivered directly. "

So that would explain why I couldn't create dual access via both upstream networks on the OSX machine, but could get local access on the secondary IP.  Looks like I will have to dust off my old ipnetrouter license and upgrade. I've order USB to ethernet dongles so my iMac and mini can have dual ethernets. Sustworks' Peter has kindly put up GPL drivers for two chipsets of usb to ethernet adaptors.

Joe