From: cb <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: smtp stops responding
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:15:09 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Mar 20, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Charles Mangin wrote:

the hardware problems i ran into with the mac mini were due to a bad RAM chip, though it took - and not for the first time in my experience - two trips to apple to get it fixed (it can't be the RAM. the RAM tests fine, so it must be the logic board. still happening? must be the optical drive [!?] oh, the RAM only tests bad when the machine is running hot? oh. maybe we'll replace the RAM...)

Ok, thanks... I just wanted to make sure there was nothing inherently wrong with using a mini.

anyhoo, from what i've seen, the mini - barring faulty hardware - has more than enough firepower to do what i'm asking it to do. which, by the way, is run exim and squirrelmail as per the ecm2 package (http://maxo.captainnet.net/ecm2/)

Mine should be fully functional as it was in daily use for a little over  a year without so much as a hiccup. It is a 1.25 GHz G4 with 1 GB of ram, which should be good to run OS X Server 10.4 and handle my mail services (and I'll likely roll my web into the same box at that point... allowing me to ditch two modified Bondi iMacs that have been doing those jobs reasonably successfully, albeit a little sluggishly and rather loudly).

I now return the thread to the regularly scheduled SIMS discussion... thank you for allowing me to hijack it briefly. :-)

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>