From: Lewis Butler <lbutler@covisp.net>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to CGate Pro? (was Re: end of an era)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 01:38:12 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 7-May-2007, at 16:26, Elliot Wilen wrote:
Essentially, I need a modern mail server to host about 100-150 accounts. Price is far less of a consideration than functionality and ease of use in these areas:

Well, to be clear, with a OS X or *nix solution, each of these things is usually a separate program.  For example, I use postfix for handling incoming and outgoing mail; uw-imap for some IMAP access and Courier for the rest; anti-Spam comes from SpamAssassin, kept up to date; web-mail is provided by SquirrelMail and Roundcube; SMTP Auth is provided as a 'back end' service via pop-before-smtp; multiple domains are handled by postfixadmin; mailing lists by mailman, and forwarding is also provided by postfixadmin.

I don't provide a vacation service because they are nearly always abused.

* Integration with single-sign-on solutions--CGate works with Kerberos (which also gives me Active Directory as option) as well as external helper scripts supporting LDAP, PAM, and RADIUS.

Does it makes any sort of sense to have a single sign-on for a IMAP connection and a webmail conenction?  What do you mean by single sign-on?

* Palm Treo support

If the treo supports IMAP then I support the Treo.

* simplicity and ease of configuring accounts and performing maintenance tasks; I really need to be able to delegate functions to staff who may be less familiar with the system than I will be, not to mention times when I'm away.

Well, as far as maintenance there is none.  Each domain is administered vi postfixadmin, where they can add or remove accounts or aliases at will.  I don't do any of that, generally.

Can anyone speak to the capabilities of the alternatives in these areas? The last three are really essential. Also, the ability of CGate to function in place of an Exchange server could be a considerable benefit in the next year or so. So if that capability is available with any of the alternatives, it would good to know.

I don't think there are any alternatives to CGate that are nearly as easy to use and setup.  You will be spending a lot more time keeping software up to date, patching security holes, and probably a good couple of months in run-up time just getting it all working the first time.

If you want CGate Pro, then pay for CGate Pro.

--
Lewis Butler, Owner Covisp.net
240 S Broadway #203, 80209