From: Elliot Wilen <ewilen@mprinc.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to CGate Pro? (was Re: end of an era)
Date: 08 May 2007 12:32:01 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Tuesday, May 8, 2007 7:07 AM, Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com> wrote:
>At 1:38 AM -0600 5/8/07, Lewis Butler  imposed structure on a stream
>of electrons, yielding:
>>On 7-May-2007, at 16:26, Elliot Wilen wrote:
>>>[...]
>>I don't provide a vacation service because they are nearly
>always abused.
>
>The major reasons for providing 'vacation' services are:
>
>1. You want local correspondents to have that sort of notice, i.e. in
>a business environment.
>2. You want to avoid having users set up their own (usually very
>broken) autoresponders instead.

Yes, on both counts. With SIMS I am often asked by users to set up and tear down autoresponders and temporary forwarding when people go on vacation; if there wasn't a legitimate business justification I probably wouldn't go to the trouble. At one point I considered using AutoShare which IIRC had an email interface for configuring vacation messages; however, I didn't feel confident that it could be managed easily by someone who might be filling in for me--thus, Macjordomo was what I settled on.

The vacation message feature of CGate appears to be well-designed, i.e., only sending one message per sender.

>>>* Integration with single-sign-on solutions--CGate works with
>>>Kerberos (which also gives me Active Directory as option) as well
>>>as external helper scripts supporting LDAP, PAM, and RADIUS.
>>
>>Does it makes any sort of sense to have a single sign-on for a IMAP
>>connection and a webmail conenction?  What do you mean by single
>>sign-on?
>
>It makes a lot of sense in a business environment where mail is just
>part of the    picture.

Indeed. Furthermore the benefit of having a single login for multiple services will hopefully make it easier to sell users on the idea of changing their passwords periodically (or having them changed for them).

>>>* Palm Treo support
>>
>>If the treo supports IMAP then I support the Treo.
>
>Yeah, that's pretty much an unanswerable.

I need to speak to the key users here, granted. Nevertheless the availability of plugins for CGate is reassuring in case vanilla POP/IMAP doesn't do the trick.

>>If you want CGate Pro, then pay for CGate Pro.
>
>Absolutely. There is no better choice for a mail system that just
>works. MacOS X Server may come close, but it does not really beat CGP
>and some people don't like being tied so tightly to Apple.

Thanks very much to both of you. I wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision and not waste time investigating alternatives that might be more profitably spent on configuring CGate and planning the migration, so...thanks.

--Elliot Wilen