From: billc <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to CGate Pro? (was Re: end of an era)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 20:18:08 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 4:40 PM -0600 5/8/07, Lewis Butler wrote:
On May 8, 2007, at 13:32, Elliot Wilen wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2007 7:07 AM, Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com> wrote:
At 1:38 AM -0600 5/8/07, Lewis Butler  imposed structure on a stream
of electrons, yielding:
If you want CGate Pro, then pay for CGate Pro.
Absolutely. There is no better choice for a mail system that just
works. MacOS X Server may come close, but it does not really beat CGP
and some people don't like being tied so tightly to Apple.

Thanks very much to both of you. I wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision and not waste time investigating alternatives that might be more profitably spent on configuring CGate and planning the migration, so...thanks.

Really the only down side to CGate Pro is the cost.  I mean, other than that it's a wonderful product that works very very well.

Actually, from what I can tell its listserv management is none too hot.  My old ListStar server - which hasn't seen any development since before OSX came out - has a wider range of abilities.

Mail is rock solid, as expected from my years of SIMS.  Webmail is solid too, which is a major draw for me.  I deeply appreciate server software that is easy to set up and then pretty much stays up by itself.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>