From: NetHead <nethead@pecandeluxe.com>
Subject: Off-topic: Using OS X as secondary mail server
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:15:42 -0500
To: SIMS List <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Greetings remainging SIMS'ers!

It's been a long time since I've posted here. My how the world has
changed. And I must change with it.

I'm getting rid of the last of my OS 9 machines and finally moving up to
OS X completely. And so, I'm bidding "adieu" to SIMS... I think.

I have an OS X server set up and would like to use it's built-in mail
server as my "backup" mail server... in the same way I am using SIMS
right now as my "backup" for my Exchange server.

While the Exchange server is very reliable and I rarely have any
significant down-time on it, I just always feel better having a backup
server in the wings... something to just "store and forward" the email
addressed to our domain.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this in OS X Server.
It was hard enough for me to get it straight way back when I set up my
SIMS servers. I've read the manual from Apple. But face it... if you're
doing something other than a straightforward setup, the manual is
worthless. I tried searching the Apple Discussions... but 20 or so pages
in, I was getting frustrated.

So, since this is the most knowledgeable bunch of mail administrators I
know, I thought I'd post the question here and we could carry on the
discussion "off-list".

Basically, I want to be able to have the OS X mail server receive mail
directed at our domain and forward it on to my primary Exchange server.
(Similar to the SIMS router setting:
     pecandeluxe.com=exchangeserver.pecandeluxe.com
I also use my SIMS server to handle certain email alerts that Exchange
doesn't like. I have a number of devices that will send me email alerts
but they won't do SMTP authentication and Exchange is sooooo picky about
that. So, I simply let those devices send via my SIMS server and all
plays nice.

So, that's what I want to do. Any of you gurus (and I mean that
sincerely... you guys are the BEST I've "listed" with!) ... any of you
gurus have experience with setting up OS X Server as a secondary mail
server? Contact me off-list and let me know how that works.

TIA,

|     Doug Starkey                             |
|     Network Administrator                    |
|     Pecan Deluxe Candy Company               |
|     2570 Lone Star Drive                     |
|     Dallas, TX 75212-6308                    |
|     e-mail: nethead@pecandeluxe.com          |
|     voice: 214-631-3669 Ext. 108             |
|     fax: 214-631-5833                        |