From: Christopher Bort <cbort@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Using OS X as secondary mail server
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:50:55 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 06/21/07 15:15, nethead@pecandeluxe.com (NetHead) wrote:

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this in OS X Server.

I think that what you want to do may go beyond what can be done with Server Admin's GUI. You may have to get some grease under your fingernails and edit the postfix config files by hand. If you do so, be careful about using the GUI to change mail server settings afterwards, as that might munge your hand-editing.

It was hard enough for me to get it straight way back when I set up my SIMS servers. I've read the manual from Apple. But face it... if you're doing something other than a straightforward setup, the manual is worthless.

As OS X Server uses postfix as its MTA, it would be appropriate to also read the postfix docs. Apple is not really responsible for providing documentation for the FOSS components of OS X [Server] beyond covering anything special to their implementation in OS X.

So, since this is the most knowledgeable bunch of mail administrators I know, I thought I'd post the question here and we could carry on the discussion "off-list".

I'd suggest that might you get a better response from Apple's OS X Server list. Your questions will be on-topic on that list, which is frequented by people who are very familiar with doing this sort of thing on OS X Server. Also, since OS X Server uses postfix as its MTA, you might also read the postfix docs and try asking postfix specific questions on a postfix list. As always, read the FAQs and search the list archives before posting to any list with which you aren't familiar. I think this subject has probably been discussed before on the OS X Server list.

--
Christopher Bort
Homes Magazine

Real Estate Advertising/ Web Products/ Digital Printing Services

Serving: Wine Country Napa & Sonoma County, Marin County, San Francisco Bay
Area, Santa Cruz County, Monterey County , San Luis Obispo County & Santa
Barbara County, Reno/Sparks & Carson Valley, North Lake Tahoe & Truckee &
South Lake Tahoe