From: <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Using OS X as secondary mail server
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:13:03 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 5:50 PM -0700 6/21/07, Christopher Bort wrote:
>On 06/21/07 15:15, nethead@pecandeluxe.com (NetHead) wrote:
>
>>But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this in OS X Server.
>
>I think that what you want to do may go beyond what can be done
>with Server Admin's GUI. You may have to get some grease under
>your fingernails and edit the postfix config files by hand. If
>you do so, be careful about using the GUI to change mail server
>settings afterwards, as that might munge your hand-editing.
>
>>It was hard enough for me to get it straight way back when I
>>set up my SIMS servers. I've read the manual from Apple. But
>>face it... if you're doing something other than a
>>straightforward setup, the manual is worthless.
>
>As OS X Server uses postfix as its MTA, it would be appropriate
>to also read the postfix docs. Apple is not really responsible
>for providing documentation for the FOSS components of OS X
>[Server] beyond covering anything special to their
>implementation in OS X.

I don't know about OS X Server, but on hand-rolled postfix I use on OS X
client, I've been using PostfixAdmin, a PHP interface to edit Postfix
configs which uses a MySQL back end.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/postfixadmin/

There's a checkbox in the domain creation section to tell it "Mail Server
is a backup MX".   Documentation seems week, but it may do what you want.
It's also a web interface for user self-serve password changing, but if
it's just for your backup, you won't need that.
--
Michael Croft       http://www.whiterose.org/michael
SAM: It's 106 miles to the Crack of Doom. We've got a magic ring,