From: billc <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: dictionary
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:09:02 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:03 AM -0400 8/13/07, Charles Mangin wrote:
i've got an email client. let's call them FOO.COM (domain replaced to protect the innocent-ish)

they used to be hosted somewhere else. i don't know what their setup was, but i suspect there was some sort of "catch-all" address for the domain. as a result, they now get a fairly constant stream of badly addressed spams that might have, at one time, been delivered somewhere. here's just *one minute's worth* culled from my logs:

now, this has been going on for some time. six months or so. when i first took over, i thought i was getting DOSd based on the spike in the number of connections on the server. at the time, it was SIMS. now i've moved them on to exim.

since i took over hosting, all of these dictionary-style spams have been going nowhere, being rejected out of hand with "<<< 550 Unrouteable address". i know i can't do anything more than ignore them and hope they will move on to some other target but... sheesh. six months? with nothing to show for it? you'd think there'd be some sort of list purging in all that time.

It looks all too familar.  Happens here all the time, including on domains which have never had a catch all address.

Remember that they're typically not using their own firepower - they've commandeered someone else's machine(s) to do the dirty work, so they don't care if they're wasting bandwidth trying every name that's ever existed, for months without end.

I'm sitting behind ASSP (assp.sourceforge.net) which allows me to specify the allowed recpients so my SIMS doesn't get hit directly, but it's still annoying to have them constantly knocking at the gate.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>