From: Joe Wagner <joew@cdr.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: dictionary
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:12:03 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 8/15/2007, Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
IP spoofing for SMTP or any other chatting protocol over TCP is effectively impossible in the wild. The legend about IP spoofing date to the early 90's and  are grounded in very narrow facts.

I thought I recall hearing about a spammer who, with the cooperation of his ISP would send out spam via high-capacity lines with spoofed IPs pointing back to dial-up lines that the spammer was also listening on, allowing him to close the communication loop -- and effectively making it look like his spam came from dial-up accounts that were sending a T-1's worth of upstream spam.

Now, I only heard of that report as a historical reference and contemporaneous news report so was that in fact an e-urban legend?

Joe