From: Clive Bruton <clive@indx.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Spam on my server
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:00:54 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On 1 Sep 2007, at 04:19, Bill Cole wrote:

You may want to reconsider your network configuration, if it is really doing what you think.

Seems it wasn't that, which seemed like a really odd problem if it turned out that it was.

I think the logging was high enough, it was on "low-level" rather than "everything". Anyway, I found it in the end - rather than using POP before SMTP the spammer was using SMTP-auth. Turns out there was an account with no password (went right through all the accounts to make sure there were no others like that - which is a pretty labourious job with CommuniGator).

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Clive