From: billc <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Listener goes DEAF
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 02:18:21 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 8:20 AM +0200 9/6/07, Alexandre Lollini wrote:
On 5 sept. 07, at 19:59, Paul Galati imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:

13:05:07 1 SMTP(tcp) Failed to accept connection from [85.61.15.69:4727].
Error Code=-3158, OTLook=16, State=4

after this statement is written to the log file, SIMS will no longer
receive smtp connections.  I have to change the receive connections to
zero, save, then change to 50 again for new incoming connections to take
place.  When I change the smtp receive connections to zero, I get a
listener unbind failed message in the log.  Turning off RBL seems to
reduce the frequency of this message, but not eliminate it.  The computer
reboot itself each morning

Any suggestions?

Paul

It seems that I have had the same problem, but I did not find that line in my log.
what is your log level ?
That problem occur randomly, it is two month not occured here.
To me it is a tcp problem, since when it is deaf, there is no web navigation either.
no help sorry

If it's that rare an occurance, i'd just set up something to test your SIMS from time to time and notify you if it goes down.  I've used PageSentry for years for most of my servers (no longer commercially available product from Maxum.com), but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to write a script which would attempt to start a session.  If something goes down I get a text message (through a separate mail server) on my cell phone.

If it's more common, then you probably need to crank up your log level and figure out what's doing it.  My SIMS sits behind an anti-spam server, so most of the really bad stuff doesn't even get to it these days.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>