From: Alexandre Lollini <alex2@espacelollini.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Listener goes DEAF
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:28:29 +0200
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On 6 sept. 07, at 09:18, billc imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:

If it's that rare an occurance, i'd just set up something to test your SIMS from time to time and notify you if it goes down.  I've used PageSentry for years for most of my servers (no longer commercially available product from Maxum.com), but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to write a script which would attempt to start a session.  If something goes down I get a text message (through a separate mail server) on my cell phone.

If it's more common, then you probably need to crank up your log level and figure out what's doing it.  My SIMS sits behind an anti-spam server, so most of the really bad stuff doesn't even get to it these days.

http://www.siteuptime.com

I use siteuptime to monitor both my apache and my sims
it sms me when down for 15 minutes.
it is not expensive, the setup is as simple as using macos 6 ;o)

on the mail server it is common that tcp stops working once every 8 to 10 days.

--

Alex