From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Listener goes DEAF
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:51:46 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:59 PM -0400 9/5/07, Paul Galati  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
13:05:07 1 SMTP(tcp) Failed to accept connection from [85.61.15.69:4727].
Error Code=-3158, OTLook=16, State=4

after this statement is written to the log file, SIMS will no longer
receive smtp connections.  I have to change the receive connections to
zero, save, then change to 50 again for new incoming connections to take
place.  When I change the smtp receive connections to zero, I get a
listener unbind failed message in the log.  Turning off RBL seems to
reduce the frequency of this message, but not eliminate it.  The computer
reboot itself each morning

Any suggestions?

Is this SIMS on Classic under OS X?

If so, just don't do that. It's unstable and the networking is flaky.

On the other hand, you can assure that it remains working most of the time on that sort of setup by writing a cron job to kill and relaunch SIMS every hour or so.

I've seen this problem in other circumstances as well, but don't have a solid understanding of it beyond the circumstances where it hits: OpenTransport listeners (e.g. Carbon/Classic/OS9) behind NAT and under heavy connection load.

(OT geekery follows)

The -3158 OT result code means that a program tried to do something with an OT endpoint which was impossible because of a pending unhandled event on that endpoint and that the application has to figure out the event by calling OTLook() which is returning '16' meaning that the endpoint has received a disconnect. If the program is expecting to be able to connect that endpoint, and doesn't understand that sometimes a misbehaving peer or NAT device will get you into an irrational state where all you can do is re-initialize the listener, it ends up hung like this.

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com