From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Backup settings
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:16:05 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 2:07 PM -0400 10/11/07, lcs@spellnetwork.com  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I need a little help with the router settings for a sims backup server.  I read the manual and couldn't find any information on setting SIMS as a backup.

SIMS is an MTA, not a backup program :)

If you mean the machine has to act as a backup MX, accepting mail for a domain whose primary might be unreachable and relaying it on when the primary is available, the configuration available is quite simple: just allow the machine to relay mail for the target domain with a line like this in the router:

example.com=example.com.smtp

Incidentally, the SIMS guide is still available at ftp://ftp.stalker.com/pub/SIMS/SIMS-Guide.sit.hqx and Joe laffey has left up the FAQ at http://www.laffeycomputer.com/SIMS/ which answers this question.