From: Alan Summerfield <Summerfield@nbio.uni-heidelberg.de>
Subject: Re: How to blacklist a client IP?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:41:13 +0100
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
My thanks to David Muszynski and Bill Cole for their advice. I'll ask the network people here
to block the IP number.

Alan Summerfield

On Jan 21, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Alan Summerfield wrote:

Hi,

it's a few years since I had anything to do with the SIMS mailing list
but it's good to see that it's still active.

I'm back as I have a problem with a "client" at 71.140.125.37 who has
since last night, been trying to get into the accounts by going through
hundreds of username/password combinations. Here's a log extract:

11:14:21 0 SYSTEM Account {consult} Resources open failed. Error Code=-43
11:14:21 1 POP {consult} is not open: password(eagle) is wrong.
Connection from [71.140.125.37:14341]

I've put 71.140.125.37 in the "Blacklisted Adresses" of the SMTP control
panel, to no effect.

What else can I do? Usernames beginning with "C" are being tried at the
moment and I suspect it won't stop until it's reached "Z"...

Alan Summerfield

Have you tried blacklisting the IP at your border device?
-- Thanks,
David

--
Neurobiologie, Uni. Heidelberg