From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Backup
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:49:53 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:11 AM -0400 5/22/08, lcs@spellnetwork.com  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I want to thank everyone that answered.  I tried changing the R E to R W and restart the machine - however even after saving each file with the change somehow it revert immediately back to the R E and would not attempt to send the mail.  I made a backup of the Q since I didn't want to lose those messages but I really need to send them off to the primary.  Should I try copying the text files into the primary?  The mail belongs to clients and I'm sure some of it is important.
Thanks for any suggestion.

You could make the E/W flag changes, manually copy the files to the primary, and restart SIMS so that it pick them up, but then you'll never know what is causing these to fail and that latent problem will remain.

What does the SIMS log show? If you try the status flag change with logging cranked up all the way, you should get something detailing why SIMS is failing the messages.

We also could be missing something on the flag change. I don't have an active SIMS machine any more to test with and I don't have any detailed notes on this, but I did find example queue files that I marked 'failed' and 'retry' for future reference. The "retry" one has two recipient status lines, and they look like this:

R W 29-10-1998 11:56:59 0001 rcpt.1.domain rcpt.1.user
R T 29-10-1998 11:26:17 0000 rcpt.2.domain rcpt.2.user

I *THINK* the 'R T' one indicates that the message has already been delivered to <rcpt.2.user@rcpt.2.domain>

My deduction (i.e. could be wrong...) based on how SIMS queueing is configured (and the Date header of the example message)  is that the date and time fields denote (in GMT) the last delivery attempt and the 4-digit number in the 5th field is a counter of how many delivery attempts have been made for that recipient. You MAY get a fix from changing both the E to a W and that counter to  0000. Maybe.

LCS