From: Bill Christensen <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Spam Killers
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:58:18 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 9:45 AM -0700 8/14/09, Christopher Bort wrote:
On 08/14/09 08:38, lcs@spellnetwork.com (Leonard Spell) wrote:

I know this list is about dead but I thought I would take a chance.  I
have migrated off SIMS for my primary server (still have a backup
running SIMS). Everything is running smoothly but I'm getting slammed
with SPAM.  I have used RBL's but they only seemed to slow it down a
little.  I was thinking of installing Spamassassin since it is open
source.  I tried several times but keep running into problems because
it seems to be dependent on many other little open source pieces.  I
am trying to install on a Mac OS X client machine.  Does anyone here
know where I can get directions for an install on Leopard?

Thanks for any info - or other suggestions - one might have.  In case
you need this info, I am using Postfix + Dovecot.

I haven't installed SA on Leopard, but I've done it on both Panther and Tiger. I've always just used CPAN to install SpamAssassin and its dependencies, using <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/INSTALL> as a guide. It can take a bit of time to work through the list of required and optional modules, but its all relatively straightforward.

Looks like MacPorts/DarwinPorts has a version ready to go.  I'll walk through and install any dependencies for you.

(I haven't used it myself, though I've installed other stuff via MacPorts)

<http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=spam>

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>